SCREENINGS OF THE OLYSSEY

Keep your eyes on this page for details of screenings and release information.

Saturday 4 January 2014

2012: A Space Olyssey (IV)

IV

The Land of the Dead
Walter Benjamin


In a strange coincidence of history, he wrote, this borderland where I spent much of my youth is also home to the remains of one of time’s great explorers of fragmented labyrinths.



Walter Benjamin chose to take his own life, here in the modest town of Port Bou, rather than to allow the Spanish authorities to send him back across the border and into the hands of the Gestapo.


He was one of many thousands that fled across this frontier in the 30s and 40s, attempting to escape either Hitler from one direction or Franco from the other. And he was also one of many that didn’t make it, leaving their ghosts to roam the Catalan cemeteries.



This totalitarian shadow from the past can also be found looming over the abandoned bunkers that litter the coastline. Built by the Nazis to defend against any attempted Mediterranean attack from the allies, they now lie broken in ruins, a sombre reminder of the spectre of death.


I walk through these discarded labyrinthine passages half expecting a minotaur in SS uniform to jump out at me, and I mull over the immense cultural crime that was the eradication of many of the world’s greatest creative thinkers, either executed or forced into suicide.


I fight off vertigo when I look down the tunnel-like monument built in memory of Benjamin at Port Bou. Is it an entrance into the labyrinth, or to that famous land of the dead from Greek legend, the underworld? Did Odysseus walk down these steps on his long journey back to Ithaca?

At the bottom, our path is blocked by a slanted plane of glass upon which is written the words of Benjamin: “It is more arduous to honour the memory of the nameless than that of the renowned. Historical construction is devoted to the memory of the nameless.”



I turn to look back up the tunnel and am forced to shade my eyes from the blinding light now shining down upon me. In this spiritual moment of epiphany, I walk up toward the light, and am drawn back into the world of the living.





On the other side of the border is the desolate French town of Cerbère, tucked away in a secluded valley at what feels like the edge of the world. Is it a coincidence, I wonder, that it shares its name with Cerberus, bestial guardian of the underworld?

The internet refutes this possibility; but reliably informs me that the town is also the setting for a level in Battlefield 2142, a post-apocalyptic computer game in which EU forces fight against a Pan-Asian Coalition. But of course that level bares little resemblance to this most peculiar town.


I laugh when I discover that the next settlement up the coast, the old port of Banyuls, has been designated a Cité Odyssea.